The Ten Commandments of Surf Safety
- Always swim or surf at a beach patrolled by lifesavers or lifeguards.
- Swim between the red &yellow flags. They mark the safest areas to swim.
- Avoid swimming alone or unsupervised.
- Read the signs. If a beach is closed, don’t swim there.
- If you are unsure of the surf conditions ask a lifeguard or lifesaver.
- Don’t swim directly after a meal.
- Don’t swim under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Don’t run or dive in the water, always check the conditions.
- If you get in trouble in the water, don’t panic, raise one arm up and float until help arrives.
- Float with a rip current or undertow, don’t swim against it.